What Do You Need To Know
Oregon Unemployment Insurance (UI) program is managed by the United States Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration which ensures employment opportunities to workers temporarily. The program is funded by the federal government and the state of Oregon mutually.
What are the program objectives?
The goal of the program is to help unemployed citizens of Oregon with job opportunities to help them support their families. It provides financial assistance to eligible individuals who are unemployed or lost their job with no fault of their own. In this way, the program helps keep the unemployment rate under check and creates a balance in the economic condition in the country. This program is employer-paid and the candidates who get selected do not pay for the benefits of the program.
The program is provided for a maximum of 52 months during the lifetime of the candidate. In some cases, you can request for an extension of the program benefits if you are unable to find employment opportunities.
Are You Eligible?
There are certain factors that determine the applicant’s eligibility for the Oregon Unemployment Insurance program and if you fulfill those requirements you can qualify for the program’s benefits. The general requirements are,
- The applicant must have worked for a minimum of 12-18 months in the state of Oregon to be eligible for the Oregon Unemployment Insurance program.
- The applicant is either unemployed or underemployed to be eligible to apply for the Oregon Unemployment Insurance program.
- The applicant must show a full willingness to work
- The applicant must be actively looking for employment opportunities in their state
- The applicant should not have any criminal background
- The applicant must be healthy and strong enough to do any physical work
- There must be a valid reason for unemployment and it should not be the applicant’s fault.
Other than that, before applying for the Oregon Unemployment Insurance the candidate must wait for at least a week.
Other Important Requirements
It is important to understand that you should make an effort to constantly look for jobs according to your expertise and educational background. In case you are unable to find a job that matches your skillsets and interest then there are chances of you end up getting a job that may not match your professional abilities completely.
One thing that the applicant should keep in mind before applying for the Oregon Unemployment Insurance benefit is that it is not a full-time job. You will be provided a job for a certain period and you will be required to find a full-time job so that you can take it up once the program duration is over. You can take certain steps including
- Meet the HR managers and employers of different companies
- Fill out job applications as much as possible
- Continuously search for jobs in the market
How To Apply
The Oregon Unemployment Insurance Program page provides you with all the sufficient information to apply for the Unemployment Insurance benefits. It is easy to access and user-friendly.
To submit your claim for the online application form for the Oregon UI program please visit the Online Claim System website. You will be asked to log in to your account, in case you don’t have an account you can easily sign up for an online account on the website portal.
The applicant will be required to provide information related to their
- Personal Identification Number(PIN) for verification purposes
- Employment status/history
- Social Security Number (SSN)
In case an applicant does not have a personal identification number they will be able to create one during the process of filling the application form.
The application process does not take too long and once you finish the form you can wait for your confirmation number which will be provided to you shortly afterward. Make sure to save the confirmation number before you log out of the website.
You can also claim a file via phone call by using the following phone numbers for various counties including,
- For Portland area call at (503) 292-2057
- For Salem area call at (503) 947-1500
- For Eastern, Central Oregon and Bend area call at (541) 388-6207
- To use the toll-free number call at (877) 345-3484
For Further Information
If you want to learn more about the program you can visit the State Unemployment Insurance Benefits website. The website provides complete and accurate information regarding the Oregon Unemployment Insurance program and covers all the major topics including program details, goals, and eligibility criteria. Other than that you can visit the State of Oregon official website at UI Frequently Asked Questions and learn more about the program.