The Hawaii Unemployment Insurance program was established by the U.S. federal government and is run by the Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations by the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Division. The purpose of the program is to provide employment opportunities to workers who lost their jobs due to unfortunate circumstances. The program assists the unemployed workers in the state of Hawaii on a temporary basis so that they can afford the necessities of life. In some cases, the unemployed worker can apply for an extension if they are unable to find a job within the required time.
The Hawaii Unemployment Insurance program contributes toward a healthy economy as the income of the unemployed workers is replaced with insurance during the period of joblessness. The most important benefit of the program is that it helps the state from going to the recession when the unemployment rates go up.
The eligibility of the Unemployment Insurance (UI) program for the state of Hawaii depends on several factors but before looking into the eligibility criteria, it is important to consult your respective state agency managing the program to get the most up-to-date guidelines regarding the program.
There are certain factors that determine your eligibility for Hawaii Unemployment Insurance and if you fulfill those requirements you can qualify to get the program’s benefits.
- The applicant must be a resident of the state of Hawaii
- The applicant must citizens or a legal alien in the U.S.
- The applicant must have earned at least a minimum wage during the past 12 or 18 months of their employment period. If you were earning below the minimum wage you are not eligible to apply.
- The applicant must not be currently working anywhere
- The applicant must ensure their availability for work that might be assigned through the Hawaii Unemployment Insurance program
- The applicant must be actively looking for employment opportunities in their state
- The applicant must not be a part of any dispute
- The applicant must be healthy and strong enough to do any physical work
- The applicant needs to register with the workforce commission in Hawaii
It is important to understand that the applicant should make an effort to constantly look for jobs according to their expertise and educational background. In case you are unable to find a job that matches your skillsets and interest then there are chances of you end up getting a job that may not match your professional abilities completely.
One thing that the applicant should keep in mind before applying for the Hawaii Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit is that it is not a full-time job. You will be provided a job for a certain period and you will be required to find a full-time job so that you can take it up once the program duration is over. You can take certain steps including
- Meet the HR managers and employers of different companies
- Fill out job applications as much as possible
- Continuously search for jobs in the market
- Attend job fairs
- Work on your resume and interview skills
There are certain documents that you will have to present at the time of applying for the Hawaii Unemployment Insurance (UI) program including,
- The applicant’s Social Security number (SSN)
- The applicant’s permanent home mailing address
- The applicant’s current telephone number
- An email address that the applicant is currently using
- The applicant needs to provide the contact information of the employers they have worked
- The total wage earned by the applicant during the past 18 months
How To Apply
There are many ways to apply for the Hawaii Unemployment Insurance Program including,
- Apply Online
You can file your claim for the Hawaii UI program by going to the Hawaii Unemployment Insurance page. You can review your application process as well as get payment and submit your job hunt progress on this website.
- Apply through the local district office
Applicants who are interested in the Hawaii Unemployment Insurance program can visit the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations office in their locality to make a personal application. The applicant will be provided with an application form that they will have to complete and submit to apply for the program benefits.
After finding a nearby office, you can visit it to get guidance regarding the program eligibility and application procedures. Once the form is filled and you have attached all the required documents, you can then submit the application form which will be further processed by the UI office. The selected applicants will be notified through phone or email and will get notified about to the next level.
- Apply Via Phone call
Individuals interested in the Unemployment Insurance program can contact the Hawaii UI office at (808) 586 8970.
You will be then connected to a customer service representative who will guide you about the program and its application procedure. The application form will be delivered to you either by mail or post. By calling the above numbers you can talk to highly qualified members of staff who can answer any queries you might have regarding the Unemployment Insurance program.
The applicants can also visit the Hawaii official Marketplace to see if they qualify for the program. The Marketplace was established to provide healthcare benefits to citizens across various states of the United States of America who are otherwise not able to do so.
For Further Information
If you want to learn more about the program you can go to the official Hawaii Unemployment Insurance website. It will provide detailed information regarding the Hawaii UI program and covers all the major topics including program details, goals, and eligibility criteria.