What Do You Need To Know?
Louisiana Unemployment Insurance Program is a benefit program which has been designed to provide financial assistance to workers who are unemployed for a certain period without personal reasons. However, such unemployed workers must meet Louisiana’s eligibility requirements to avail the benefits.
The unemployment insurance program is administered by The Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC) and the benefit fund compensated to unemployed workers is collected from employers. The goal of the program is to help unemployed workers of Louisiana and creates a balance in the economic condition of the state.
Are You Eligible?
To qualify for the unemployment insurance benefits and to meet the eligibility criteria, the applicant must have worked for an employer in Louisiana during a period of 12 to 18 months. There is a minimum amount of wages you must have earned to qualify for the benefits program. There are additional requirements that you must meet to qualify.
- In case you are working part-time and your wage is less than the weekly benefit, then you may still be eligible.
- You must search for a new job during your unemployment and provide proof of it.
- If you are offered a job then you must accept it immediately and if any of your personal reasons are stopping you to join then you are ineligible for the unemployment benefits.
- You must file your weekly income including the gratuities, bonuses, and tips and failing to do so may rescind your benefits.
You must not be unemployed due to the fault of your own. So, certain scenarios of being unemployed can make you ineligible.
- In case you have been fried by your employer due to your mistake at a job then you are not eligible. For instance, your employer fired you due to misconduct or not following the work rules then it might make you ineligible to get the unemployment benefits.
- However, if you have been fired due to lack of certain skill and technical requirement of your job then you mat still can apply for the benefits.
- If you have lost the job due to downsizing then you may still apply for the unemployment benefits.
- If you quit the job at your own then won’t be eligible for the benefits until you provide good reasons for quitting that can include sexual harassment or inappropriate working conditions.
How To Apply?
You must file every week and in time to qualify for the benefits. The applicant will be required to provide personal information before filing which includes:
- Social Security number
- The start and end dates for current/most recent employer
- Contact information of the employer or paid work that you have done in the past 18 months
You can apply online through the official web portal or can call to the Louisiana state’s contact center by calling the phone number 1-866-783-5567
Once you successfully submit your application, it will be reviewed and the government officials would determine the amount of benefit and for how long it would be compensated. If your application is successful then you may be getting unemployment benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks which can be increased in case of a very high unemployment rate.
You would be paid for the period you applied through debit card or bank transfer.
If you feel that the benefit amount is less than you are eligible then you can you may file an appeal within 15 days.
For Further Information?
If you want to learn more about the program you can visit the Louisiana state’s website.
You can also file a claim via phone call by calling the official phone number 1-866-783-5567.