What You Need To Know
The Tennessee TennCare program was established by the U.S. federal government in 1994. The program is mutually funded by the government of Tennessee and the central government. It is provided to poor and low-income families residing in Tennessee.
The individuals and families, who avail the Medicaid benefits, as well as those who are uninsured, can apply for the Tennessee TennCare program. There are thousands of individuals who are uninsured due to lack of finances and this program provides them with an opportunity to get medical insurance and improve their health conditions. The Managed Care Organization in Tennessee is responsible for managing the TennCare program. The MCOs are responsible for providing all kinds of health services to the selected candidates of the Tennessee TennCare program in the state.
The program is responsible for providing health care services to
- Pregnant women
- Children under 21 years of age
- Parents, caregivers, or relatives of dependent children under 21 years of age
- Senior citizens
- Families in which both or one of the parent is unemployed
- Families where parents have some kind of mental illness for more than a month
- Disabled and blind people
Are You Eligible?
There are some mandatory requirements for the Tennessee TennCare program that the applicant needs to fulfill to qualify for the program’s benefits. Those are,
- The applicant must be a citizen or legal alien of the United States of America
- The applicant must be a legal alien living in Tennessee
- The applicant must be either pregnant women, 21 years old or younger or a parent/caretaker with dependent child/rens
- The applicant must not be receiving any health insurance including the Medicaid
- The applicant is disabled, blind or a senior citizen of the state of Tennessee
- The applicant belongs to an underprivileged background with low or very low income
- The applicant has a weak financial situation
Other than that, the Tennessee TennCare program provides health services to people who are receiving the Supplemental Security Income (SSI), individuals who are living in nursing homes, cervical women or breast cancer patients.
Other important eligibility requirements include,
- Total number of members in the household
- The total annual income of the candidate
The total gross income of the household before taxes must be equal to or less than,
|Size of Household||Annual Gross Income Level|
An extra amount of $5878 is added per person if the total size of the household is more than 8 members. Therefore, it is important to visit a managing agency in your area to help you get your hands on the latest and up-to-date information and program guidelines. This will help you understand the terms and policies of the Tennessee TennCare program and help make the application process easy.
You can also visit Tennessee official TennCare website to check your eligibility criteria for the program. The applicant will have to provide information regarding
- Rent or mortgage
- Utility expenses
- Child support expenses
- Day-care expenses
- Medical bills, if you are older than 60, or disabled
- Other benefit programs you have applied to
- Any other payments
How To Apply
There are multiple ways to apply for the TennCare program in Tennessee,
- Online application
You can make your application online by visiting TennCare where you will be provided with all the necessary information. This website provides easy and fast online services to the citizens of Tennessee to apply for the TennCare program.
- Apply through the local office
Another easy way to apply for the Tennessee TennCare is through the Division of TennCare office. It will provide every possible assistance and the officials will make the whole process less daunting by providing the necessary information.
You can download the application form through the official TennCare website and fill it as accurately and truthfully as possible because a false statement can lead to termination of the application. Once the application is submitted you cannot change it hence it is advisable to be careful while filling out the application form.
Before filling the application form make sure you have all the required information to speed up the process. Once you have filled out the application form you can return it to office.
- Apply Via Phone Call
Individuals interested in the TennCare can also call at the following numbers to find a health department in their community.
- 1-800-342-3145 (for applicants living in Tennessee)
- 615-741-0213 (for the applicants residing outside Tennessee)
You can then talk to the TennCare representative in your county and ask for the application form. By calling the above number you get to talk to a highly qualified member of the program who can answer any queries you might have regarding the Tennessee TennCare program.
The application form will be delivered to you either by mail or post. By calling the above numbers you can talk to highly qualified members of staff who can answer any queries you might have regarding the program.
For Further Information
If you have more queries please visit the main TennCare website. Here you will be provided with up-to-date information regarding the program to make the application process easy. You can choose any of the above options to get the application form and apply either in person or online however you feel comfortable.