What Do You Need To Know?
The Louisiana Medicaid program is a basic health-care and medical program provided to low-income families residing in the state of Louisiana. The program is jointly funded by the federal and the state government. They are responsible for creating funds to cover the cost of the program. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals administers the Medicaid program in the state. The department is responsible for creating guidelines and policies for the program. The goal of the program is to make medical services accessible to underprivileged families in Louisiana and help them improve their living conditions.
Who Can Apply?
The people who are eligible to apply for the Louisiana Medicaid program are,
- Pregnant women
- Guardians/caretaker relatives
- Senior citizens
- Disabled people (blind etc)
What are the Program Services?
Louisiana Medicaid provides the following services as a part of its benefits program to the program awardees
- Eye care services which include providing eye check-up and eyeglasses
- Dental services which include dental check-up and dental hygiene which include teeth cleaning every 6 months for individuals who are younger than 21 years of age.
- Family planning services
- Medical check-ups
- Auditory services
- Laboratory services and X-rays
- Maternity services
- Child-care and home health care services that are occupational and physical therapy, speech therapy and skilled nursing
- Drug prescriptions
Are You Eligible?
There are certain eligibility criteria that an applicant must fulfill to be able to qualify for the Louisiana Medicaid program.
- The applicant needs to be a legal and permanent citizen of the United States of America
- The applicant needs to be a residence of the state of Louisiana
- The financial situation of the applicant must fall under the low-income level to apply for the Medicaid program as described by the federal government
- The applicant is pregnant or has a pregnant woman in the household
- The applicant is blind, have a disability or a family member in the household with a disability
- The applicant must be responsible for children under 19 years of age or be 65 years of age or older.
The agencies that look into the Louisiana Medicaid program consider certain factors to check if the candidate’s eligibility is justified like,
- Proof of your income ( recent pay stubs, payroll slip, salary slip)
- Social Security Number
- Copy of driver’s license
- Citizenship status
- Employment information
- Information about current Health insurance (if any)
- Assets/Resources ( bonds, funds, property, credit union accounts, etc) of the candidate
- Size of the household of the candidate
- Total income of the household per annum before taxes of the candidate
- Age of the candidate
The maximum gross income level of the household before taxes must be equal to or less than,
|Total Household Members||Annual Gross Income Level|
An amount of $5878 is added per person if the total size of the household is more than 8 members. Therefore, it is important to visit a managing agency in your area to help you get your hands on the latest and up-to-date information and program guidelines. This will help you understand the terms and policies of the Louisiana Medicaid program and help make the application process easy.
How To Apply?
There are different methods that an applicant can use to apply for the Louisiana Medicaid program.
- Apply Online
To fill the application form online you can visit the official Louisiana Medicaid website. The website contains detailed information about the application procedure of the various healthcare benefits that are provided by the Louisiana Medicaid program. It is important to make your account on the online website portal before applying for the program. It is a user-friendly portal and makes the whole process of applying easy and quick. To make the application procedure easy the website also contains guidelines for the applicants to correctly fill the application form.
- Apply Via Phone call
Individuals interested in the Louisiana Medicaid program can also call
1-800-220-5404 ( for TTY users)
You can ask for the application form by calling on the above-given numbers. It will be delivered to you either by mail or post. By calling the above numbers you can talk to highly qualified members of staff who can answer any queries you might have regarding the Medicaid program.
- Apply through the local district office
You can also make a personal application by finding a nearby Medicaid office in your area. You can visit it to get one on one guidance regarding the program.
Once the form is filled and you have attached all the required documents you can then submit the application form which will be further processed by the Medicaid office. The selected applicants will be notified through phone or email and will get notified about to the next level.
In case you have any further queries regarding the Louisiana Medicaid program and other services that are provided by the state kindly visit the following website.