What Do You Need To Know?
The Maryland Energy Assistance Program assists the households in paying their utility bills in the state of Maryland. The program is funded by the Federal government which provides benefits since 1982. The utility payment is sent directly to the utility provider. The main objective of the program is to help people from underprivileged backgrounds who are not able to pay their house heating and cooling expenses. The assistance is provided to families with total income below 175% of the total income level guidelines specified by the federal government
The Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) provides support to low-income families through
- Utility bill payments
- Energy crisis grants
- Energy-related home repair assistance
- Weatherproofing of the house
- Assistance at times of emergency energy need
Are You Eligible?
To be able to qualify for the Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) the applicant needs to be a
- Permanent citizen or legal alien of US
- a permanent and legal resident of the state of Maryland
- The applicant must need assistance in paying their utility bills
- The applicant’s home energy has been cut off and is scheduled to cut off
The income level of the applicant must be equal to the income guidelines accepted by the federal government. If a candidate does not fulfill the criteria set by the MEAP then they will not receive the benefits of the program.
Other important factors on which the eligibility of an applicant is assessed include,
- The candidate’s annual gross income
- The number of members in a household and the complete address of the household
- The type of heating fuel in the household
- The utility payment that needs to be paid
The table below provides a detailed understanding of the household size and the maximum gross income which should be either equal or less than,
|Total Household Size||Gross Income Level (Per Year)|
If there are more than 8 members in the house than an extra amount of $7735 is added for each additional member. It is also important to check with the local agencies who manage the program to get your hands on the most current information and guidelines regarding the Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)
How To Apply?
There are certain documents that an applicant is required to bring along with them at the time of applying for the Maryland MEAP. The applicant must have a copy of their
- The utility expenses including electricity, gas, heating, and cooling, propane
- All the documents that show salaries of all the members of the household who are currently employed
There are different ways to apply for the Maryland Energy Assistance Program which the citizens of the state can choose from,
- To apply online, the applicant can visit the Applying for Energy Assistance page. The link will take you to the official page of the Maryland Department of Human Services. The website provides significant information related to the Maryland LIHEAP.
- To apply via phone call please use the toll-free number 1-800-332-6347 or 1-800-735-2258 (for TTY users) and request an application form for the Maryland LIHEAP. The application will be emailed to you who you can then return once you fill out the form to get the program benefits.
- To apply through fax, the applicant will be required to fax the application form along with all the attested copied of the required documents to the Department of Human Services Maryland.
- If the applicant is interested in submitting their application in person, they can visit the DHS office in their locality. You can find the address of the office on their official website of the Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP). You can visit the Local Home Energy Program Office website to find a MEAP office in your community.
It is advisable to apply before the due date to be able to get the benefits. Also, note that any assistance in the form of cash that you might get from the program goes directly to your respected energy provider or utility company.
For Further Information
For further information, please visit the Maryland Office of Home Energy. These websites provided complete information about the program. You can also visit the following website to get your hands on the up-to-date policies and guidelines of the Maryland LIHEAP program.
The above-mentioned websites will help you learn more about the program and its requirements related to the application process and eligibility criteria. This makes it easy for the applicant to apply for the Maryland Energy Assistance Program. The whole process might take 40-45 days once you have submitted the application form. It is vital to keep the application deadline in mind so that your household is not deprived of the benefits provided by the program.