What You Need To Know
The Iowa Unemployment Insurance (UI) program is managed by the Iowa Workforce Development Department (IWDD) which ensures employment opportunities to workers temporarily. The program is funded by the federal government and the state of Iowa mutually. The goal of the program is to help unemployed citizens of Iowa with job opportunities to help them support their families. In this way, the program helps keep the unemployment rate under check and creates a balance in the economic condition in the country. This program is employer-paid and the candidates who get selected do not pay for the benefits of the program.
Are You Eligible?
There are certain factors that determine the applicant’s eligibility for the Iowa Unemployment Insurance program and if you fulfill those requirements you can qualify for the program’s benefits. The general requirements are,
- The applicant must have worked at least 15-18 in order to be eligible for the Iowa Unemployment Insurance (UI).
- The applicant is either unemployed or underemployed to be eligible to apply for the Iowa Unemployment Insurance program.
- The applicant must show a full willingness to work
- The applicant must be actively looking for employment opportunities in their state
- The applicant must have zero criminal background
- The applicant must be healthy and strong enough to do any physical work
- There must be a valid reason for unemployment and it should not be the applicant’s fault.
- The applicant must be earning a minimum income determined by the federal government to be eligible for the UI program benefits.
Other than that, before applying for the Iowa Unemployment Insurance the candidate must wait for at least a week. The candidate can start the filing process once,
- It has been more than a week since the applicant has been unemployed
- The applicant earns below 140% of the benefit amount per week (in case of part-time employment)
Other Important Requirements
It is important to understand that you should make an effort to constantly look for jobs according to your expertise and educational background. In case you are unable to find a job that matches your skill sets and interest then there are chances of you end up getting a job that may not match your professional abilities completely.
One thing that the applicant should keep in mind before applying for the Iowa Unemployment Insurance benefit is that it is not a full-time job. You will be provided a job for a certain period and you will be required to find a full-time job so that you can take it up once the program duration is over. You can take certain steps including
- Meet the HR managers and employers of different companies
- Fill out job applications as much as possible
- Continuously search for jobs in the market
You can also go to the official Iowa Unemployment Insurance program website to check your eligibility. Here you will have to answer some questions to test whether you are eligible or not including,
- Current citizenship status
- Current work status
- Reason to leave the previous job
- Your willingness to work
- The number of months you haven’t worked
How To Apply
The Iowa Unemployment Insurance Program page provides you with all the sufficient information to apply for the Unemployment Insurance benefits. It is easy to access and user-friendly.
To submit your claim for the online application form for the Iowa UI program please visit the Unemployment Insurance Services Division website. You will be asked to log in to your account, in case you don’t have an account you can easily sign up for an online account on the website portal.
The applicant will be required to provide information related to their
- Personal Identification Number(PIN) for verification purposes
- Employment status/history
- Social Security Number (SSN)
In case an applicant does not have a personal identification number they will be able to create one during the process of filling the application form.
The application process does not take too long and once you finish the form you can wait for your confirmation number which will be provided to you shortly afterward. Make sure to save the confirmation number before you log out of the website.
You can also claim a file via phone call by using the toll-free cell phone numbers 866-239-0843. A UI representative will guide you about the program details and the eligibility conditions of the Iowa Unemployment Insurance program. You can request for the application form which will be either emailed or mailed to your house.
For Further Information?
If you want to learn more about the program you can visit the Claimant Handbook – A Guide to Unemployment Insurance Benefits website. The website provides complete and accurate information regarding the Iowa Unemployment Insurance program and covers all the major topics including program details, goals, and eligibility criteria.